Sitting in my living room in Aberdeen, watching a recorded version of the Texas v. BYU game, I can't help but remember what today is. Today is the 10th Anniversary of the 9/11 attacks in NYC. I was a freshman at UT when the attacks happened and I can remember it like it was yesterday.
My roommate, Linda, and I were sleeping in our dorm room at Jester West, when we were woken up by our dorm mates screaming, "the plane hit the building, turn on the TV." I thought it was a dream, so I woke up and turned on the TV. And what do you know, the twin tower was up in smokes. We opened our door, and everyone was in the halls with a blank look on their face. I remember them saying, a second plan is going to hit, but don't remember if I registered it when I saw it on TV. At this point, I was a bit confused, I never really knew of terror attacks or what it might be. I was just a college student, living away from home for the first time, and trying to figure out what I was going to do with my life. Classes were cancelled and from this day forward, our life and country changed, and I'd have to say, a part of me changed as well.
Today, I will be thinking of the families of 9/11 and hope that they have found the strength to move on and forward with their lives. I will also be thinking about the soldiers who are out there fighting this war, especially my cousin, Steven, who is in Afghanistan. It really just goes to show that you really can't take any one day for granted because you never know what that day might bring.
God Bless America!
No comments:
Post a Comment