Thursday, 7 March 2013

Where's my iPhone?

Last Thursday, a few of us girls decided to head out to Clach-never-end, for some fresh air. The last time I did this hike was back in November, when the weather was semi-decent and the fall colors were out all around us.



We opted for the shorter 6 mile hike instead of the 11 miles around the mountain, which I was super thankful for. After hiking 11 miles that last time, Tanvi and I became a bit delirious and missed our path back to the car park which fortunately took us through this beautiful forest and back out to the main road. Luckily, we were only about 300 ft from where we were suppose to be so it wasn't a big deal. 11 miles wasn't hard, it was just LOOOONG! 


Anyhow, this time around, we were surrounded by snowcapped mountains and trekking in snow covered grounds.  I tried my best to keep up with my marathon running, hiking friends but of course, fell behind. I don't think Jill and Debbie ever stopped for breathers, but that's okay because I had Laine by my side on the way up. Thanks Laine =) This was the first hike I've done in a while and it was nice because there was only 4 of us, so we really got to talk and catch up. Even though we see each other at least twice a week, it's usually in a big group, so we can't get as much deep conversations in. Our group of friends have grown so much that when we go out now, we're rolling 15 deep, so you end up only getting to talk to the few people that you're seated next to for the night. That's a great problem to have though when you're in a foreign country. Therefore, days like this are completely necessary to just focus on a few of those wonderful people and get to know them better. I heart these girls!






So, after 3 long miles up and another 3 short miles back down (I was running downhill for some of it to try and catch up with these girls), we were at the car park and ready to head off to Stonehaven for the UK's #1 fish and chips at The Bay Fish & Chips. After dusting off my boots, and putting everything away in my backpack, I noticed my phone was MISSING! I did a double check of my backpack, jacket pockets and trouser pockets and it was no where to be found. Too bad we were out in the middle of nowhere and didn't have cell reception either. I sort of remembered taking off my jacket at one point about a mile back because I was roasting (hot!) and thought maybe it fell out then. So Laine and I backtracked with our heads in the ground searching for my life (j/j), and came back with nothing. This wasn't the first time I've lost my iPhone so I kept calm and went to eat some fish and chips. To drown my sorrows away, I treated myself to ice cream at Aunty Betty's as well =) 




We tried texting the phone a few times and calling it but still no service. So when I got home, I pulled up the Find my iPhone app and it showed that my phone was offline =( Who knows where I could have dropped it? Then, after about 5 minutes, I get a message on my iPad saying that my iPhone has been found and it was moving...someone found it! Btw, this is what Scotland looks like via Satellite.


I immediately called the phone and the sweetest Scottish lady picked up and said her son-in-law found it in the woods just before the car park. He must have picked it up on his way up the mountain and decided to hang on to it instead of coming back to let us know we dropped it. I swear Laine and I looked up and down that wooded path until our eyes were coming out of our heads. They lived out in Banchory, so Gerald and I made arrangements to go to their house to pick it up later that night. The first thing he said to me was..."Take care of your phone!" As if I didn't hear that enough from Mr. Pena. haha. So thankful for him though =)

Lesson of the day: 6 is better than 11; Keep Calm and Your Lost iPhone will be Found! 

I've returned a few lost things in my days so I'm glad someone did the same for me =) Overall, it was a great day! Or as Gerald would like to put it..."It was a Good Day!" After I told him about my little mishap during the hike, he told me he got an unexpected promotion, and that I could buy an iPhone 5...haha. Yeah right, he was going to make me use an old flip phone, can you believe that? I really should take better care of my phone =) Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you found your iphone! My iPhone fell out of my pocket at the grocery store the other day. I realized it was gone as soon as I got home and went straight back. And there it was still just lying in the middle of the aisle. I credit it to either a.) honest people in this small town OR b.) this town is so small that no one had even gone down that aisle since I had dropped it there. :-)

    ReplyDelete