Tuesday, 28 September 2010

Glasgow

Glasgow is the largest city in Scotland with three quarter of a million people.  Coming from Houston with a population of almost 6 million, you wouldn't think I would consider Glasgow a "big" city, but I did.  After living in Aberdeen for almost 2 months, with a population of 200,000, and one main road in the City Center, I was stunned by how big Glasgow felt to me.  It had big roads with intersections, tall buildings, loads of shopping, with American style Malls, and a Korean restaurant!

We took the ScotRail from Aberdeen to Glasgow and got to enjoy the nice views of the countryside.  It was a 2 1/2 train ride and BYOB! hehe. We didn't know this but next time, we'll definitely take advantage. This is probably my 3rd time or so riding a train and I really enjoy it.  We sometimes think of trains as loud and annoying at times but being inside one is quite a different feeling.  Or at least it has been for me the few times I've ridden it. With my headphones and a book, I find it relaxing.  I love seeing all that nature has to offer while being on a train. Something you miss while flying or even driving.

Anyhow, we met up with our cousin Mickie for some good eats while we were there.  She was nice enough to bring me a few packages of Zatarans Jambalaya mix and Jiffy cornbread mix from the States.  I heard from some AWA women that you couldn't get those things here so I asked her to bring me some =) Thanks Mickie!  We had a good time chatting and hanging out.


banchan
spicy pork bulgogi































Gerald and I spent the rest of the weekend shopping.  Although, we came back with nothing, it was fun being able to window shop. We don't have great shopping or window shopping here in Aberdeen.  I think I'm  going to save my shopping for when I return to Houston.  Either nothing appeals to me, or I just think it's way too expensive when I can get the same thing in Houston for 1/2 the price.  For example, I saw a pair of Uggs that I got in the States for $150, and here, they were 250 pounds! Ridiculous.

leaving Glasgow Queen Street Station back to Aberdeen
We also visited a few museums and had dinner and drinks out one night.  Most of the bars here are jam packed with male bodies, so ladies, beware...hehehe...The male to female ratio here is like 10:1, I'm probably exaggerating but that's what it looks like at times.  Overall, we had a nice getaway and I'm looking forward to more train rides across the land.

No comments:

Post a Comment