Monday, 14 May 2012

Austrian Love

Gerald and I recently visited Vienna and Salzburg for a long weekend, which was just the right amount of time. We didn't feel rushed and we didn't get bored. Unlike most other trips, we didn't have an idea of what we wanted to do in these cities. The only thing I was looking forward to was The Sound of Music tour in Salzburg. So that left us with 3 days to fill. I'll start by telling you a bit about Vienna.

We started off in Vienna and after checking into our hotel, we immediately went to the nearest sausage stand.  Kasekrainer sausages are the local ones and they are mighty fine. There's bits of cheese in the sausage and you eat it with a piece of bread and some mustard - nothing fancy about it. After grabbing the bite to eat, we wandered around the city to see what was out there, not knowing what to do or where to go. We ended up buying tickets to a Mozart concert for the following night while wandering about. At this point, we thought it would be best to look some things up. Gerald saw that the original "Kiss" painting was in a museum called The Belvedere so we decided to go ahead and check it out. It was a beautiful painitng, I must say. Below is a picture of it. I didn't know much about Gustav Klimt's work, except from the movie "This Means War,"and I really appreciated it.



After spending the the majority of the late afternoon/early evening at the museum, we rushed back to the hotel to change for our dinner at Plachutta.  My friend Tiffany recommended the restaurant to us and it didn't disappoint. The restaurant is known for their different ways of cooking every part of the cow you can think of. The most famous in Vienna - the boiled beef. The boiled beef was served in thick slices with beef broth with root veggies, sauteed potatoes, and some yummy garlic sauce. Thanks Tiffany for the rec!


I forgot to mention that a few days before leaving for Vienna, I looked up bike tours and found one that went through the Wachua wine valley! We booked the tour and spend all of Friday out in the beautiful country side. We met a few Americans and Aussies as well. Bikes, wine, and good company made for a great day despite the lack of sunshine. We biked in total about 20 miles and my butt was sore afterwards...haha. 


Upon returning to Vienna we both had a quarter of a pizza each for only 3 euros! Best deal in town as Gerald calls it. We didn't have time for a proper dinner as we had to rush to the Mozart concert we booked the day before. The concert was fun and something to see, as it was listed on the 1000 places to see before you die list, but our seats were not the greatest so I couldn't see most of it. Oh wells, the sound and venue was pretty though. 


After doing all this in Vienna, we still had a whole day before heading to Salzburg and decided to just spend it exploring the city. We started off at Hunderwasser apartments, then off to the Schoebrunn palace, which was located a little outside the city. We wandered back into town and had a stroll along the shopping areas, stopping at Central Cafe where I had my first Viennese coffee! We didn't want to end up in Salzburg so late, so ended up taking the 7 pm train and on our way to the home of the Sound of Music =) I'll update about Salzburg a bit later....





No comments:

Post a Comment