As most of you know, my grandfather passed away and I had to take an emergency flight back to Houston. This was by far the most hectic experience I've had to face during our expat journey. We found out he was terminally ill when Gerald and I were in Belfast, thinking he had three-six months to live. Upon our return from Belfast, I was contemplating going home but knew we had Barcelona in a few days. Being the optimistic person that I am, I felt like he would fight through it and get better, and so did the rest of our family. I decided to book a ticket home anyways to just visit and hang out with him and the family for two weeks in April, which was a couple weeks away. A few days later, he got pneumonia and was admitted to the ICU. Again, I contemplated changing my April ticket, and go home right away, skipping our Barcelona trip. After sitting down with Gerald and talking to my mom, we decided I should wait a few days to see how he reacts to the treatment (again, being very optimistic). While in Barcelona, it was determined that he was not going to make it and I was heart broken. I quickly regretted the fact that I didn't go home sooner, but at the state he was in, there wasn't much I could have done anyways. My grandma was going to wait until I got home to take him off the breathing machine so I could say goodbye, but the night before I was to arrive, she had a dream that he told her he was ready to go so she didn't want to postpone it any longer. I changed my ticket home to get back the day after we got home from Barcelona and spent the next 3 weeks in Houston with the family. I honestly don't think I've cried that much in my life before (tearing up now...). Ever since I found out he was ill, I was trying to stay strong, but was secretly crying myself to sleep. I said my goodbyes via FaceTime at the Barcelona airport lounge and even though it sounds weird, I'm glad I did because the reaction I got from him will forever hold a special place in my heart. He was sedated but when he heard my voice, his movements were strong and I knew that he recognized it. My parents said he passed peacefully in the presence of family and at the end of the day, that's all we could ever ask for. I spent the next 3 weeks with the family sharing all the special moments we had with him. It was tough and it still is to think that when I go home again, he won't be there. I do know he is in a better place and will be loved no matter where he is. This was my first immediate loss and I couldn't have done it without the support of all our family and friends. Thanks for all your kind words during this time; it really helped and meant a lot to me. *hugs*
I spent the rest of the Houston trip, eating, relaxing and catching up with friends. Usually when we know we're going home, we've already scheduled dinners and outings ahead of time to make sure we can see everyone. This time, I actually enjoyed the impromptu get-togethers as and when time allowed. I still got to see most everyone I wanted and if not...I'm heading back in a month so I'm sure I will see them then. I even got to attend a friend's baby shower (UT themed), and spent Cambodian New Years with the family. Plus it was crawfish season so I indulged in some of those mudbugs until I broke out in hives! I do miss Houston and as much as I would love to be back home with everyone, I'm also enjoying the experience we're having over here. It's a tough one, but I know God has a plan for us, so I'm staying positive and taking it one day at a time.
Oh and one of the more exciting things I did while home was hanging out with my sister-in-law, Gi, and doing baby registry stuff with her. Boy did I learn a lot! Gi and Raymark are expecting a baby girl in August 2013, and Gerald and I couldn't be more excited!
Before we knew the sex of the baby, Gerald and I made a bet (no rewards though); I said it was going to be a girl and he said a boy. I was right, as always! A few minutes after we found out, someone was already online buying her Polo outfits. It arrived when I was in town.
Baby clothes are the cutest things, I can not contain myself. Since Gi loves Nike, I thought this outfit was fitting =P Oh and I got the knitted hat for her in Ireland (not knowing it was a girl but I took my chances). I've since bought more things for her, but can't share it or else she will see...hehe.
We already know she's going to be a Daddy's girl all the way! Here's her first designer outfit from Gucci. Did I mention..SPOILED? It is cute though...haha.
Oh and one of the more exciting things I did while home was hanging out with my sister-in-law, Gi, and doing baby registry stuff with her. Boy did I learn a lot! Gi and Raymark are expecting a baby girl in August 2013, and Gerald and I couldn't be more excited!
Before we knew the sex of the baby, Gerald and I made a bet (no rewards though); I said it was going to be a girl and he said a boy. I was right, as always! A few minutes after we found out, someone was already online buying her Polo outfits. It arrived when I was in town.
Baby clothes are the cutest things, I can not contain myself. Since Gi loves Nike, I thought this outfit was fitting =P Oh and I got the knitted hat for her in Ireland (not knowing it was a girl but I took my chances). I've since bought more things for her, but can't share it or else she will see...hehe.
If my 3 weeks home wasn't busy enough, my friend Christine, decided that she wanted to come visit so we planned her trip for the weekend that I got back. Gerald and I already had a trip to London planned to see the "Book of Morman," and it just so happened that my friend Jill, was running the London Virgin Marathon so we just made a weekend out of it with Christine in tow. When we returned from London, I showed Christine around Scotland and Aberdeen and she left yesterday. I miss her already. I'll blog about her visit later. In a weeks time, we're going to be off to the Outer Hebrides of Scotland for 10 days so I'll have to try to get as much housework done before then. Can you see why I don't know what a weekend is anymore? It's a great problem to have and I wouldn't have it any other way!
Hope you have a great "Weekend!"









So excited for you guys on your niece! Those outfits are too cute:) Looks like you have a busy schedule the next few months, miss you friend!
ReplyDelete