Thursday, 11 July 2013

Paris Thirty Love

This past weekend, I celebrated my 30th birthday in one of my favorite cities, Paris! My family was in town visiting Scotland the past week and we decided to go to Paris on the last leg of their trip so that they could see another European city. It just conveniently happened to be my birthday weekend as well! The weekend was filled with family, friends, food and laughter. A girl seriously couldn't have asked for anything more!

We started the weekend with a 6 am flight to Paris and after checking into Hotel Taylor in the Republique district, we hit the ground running.  We started off with oysters at the popular Huitrerie Regis. If you eat in the restaurant, you have to order a minimum of a dozen oysters each per person, so we opted to do take away instead and eat on the street. It was a weird experience but the oysters were still delicious! 



Afterwards we strolled around Luxembourg gardens to get our first feel of Paris....



Then off to the Eiffel Tour. The top was closed when we bought our tickets so we only went to the 2nd level. By the time we got up there the top reopened but the line to get tickets was ridiculous so we opted out. Plus my mom was afraid to go up so she was hanging out on the lawn by herself so I didn't want to leave her alone for too long. We still got some amazing views...





On the way back to our hotel, we celebrated the 4th of July strolling by a local American Diner and coming across one of the biggest cheeseburger I've ever seen. I think they were trying to go for a guinness world record or something...hehe 


That evening I met up with Sophie, a family friend whom I met in Houston in May, and she took us out for a nice Mediterranean meal at Chez Omar {the best couscous ever}. Sophie's boss has been going to this restaurant for the past 35 years for lunch so she knew everyone in the place and we were treated so well! Nice to know a local in town. 


Afterwards, we headed out to the Bastille for a couple of drinks. The Bastille is known for it's nightlife and fun bars.



The next day was our full day in Paris. We started off the morning with Mona at the Louvre.  




Headed to Verjus for lunch and had their amazing sandwiches!




Then walked along jardin deTuileries towards the Arc de Triomphe. A few of them went on the ferris wheel while the rest of us soaked in some Parisian sun rays. We stopped and got ice cream at Amorino along the way.




Along the Champs de Elysees we popped into Kusmi Tea {best detox tea, yum} and Laduree and did some window shopping.  At this point, we were pretty tired so decided to head back to the hotel to rest up before dinner. Gerald arrived around 4pm Friday, just in time to do a little shopping {by himself} and get ready for dinner. 



We went to Le Severo for dinner, which was located in a local neighborhood about a 30 minute metro ride out. So glad we went there because it was seriously the BEST steak frites ever! The butcher/chef only serves his meat rare so if you don't like it red, I don't suggest going. He looks down upon those who asks for anything else. The place only holds about 20 people, so we were thankful to get a reservation. Plus they are closed for the weekend, so we were lucky to be there on a weekday. 



After the awesome steak dinner, we headed back to the Eiffel Tour to see it's pretty light show and to relive our engagement night =P The Eiffel tour will always have a special place in my heart and to be able to share the experience with my family was a blessing. I feel like I've written a novel already about our trip, but still have two more days to go! Bare with me...




The following day, we went straight to the Sacre de Coeur..  


Followed by lover's bridge. My brother, Faith, Monique and Pito did the whole lock thing and Gerald and I just watched and played photographer. hehe...




We headed off to Notre Dame for a quick look. The line was super long and way too hot so we skipped out on going inside. We went and got delicious gelato and sorbets from Berthillon instead.  We didn't make it to the actual glacier shop as we were already tired and it was still another couple blocks away, but we had some from a stand at one of their restaurants. So yummy and refreshing!




By this time, the rest of the group was beat and headed back to the hotel, while Gerald, my mom, Monica, and I went to Galleries Lafayette for some shopping. The sales are on in Paris around this time of the year so lots of designer brands are 30-50% off. I got me a new Longchamp and Marc Jacob's bag=)  After shopping, Gerald was hungry so we stopped off at Inaro, next to our hotel, for some wine, meat and cheese. This bar only carries small producer wines from France and you can choose either good, best, or awesome wine! I loved it. 


We had about an hour before the big 3-0 Birthday dinner at Le Georges at the Pompidou. The food at Le Georges is good, but you're definitely paying for the view. It was nice to dress up and splurge a little  for this occasion. I especially enjoyed the diamond in the sky {Eiffel Tour light show} from up here. We all had an amazing time, but after 10 days of traveling, everyone was pretty beat so we called it an early night, since they all had a 7 am shuttle to catch the airport the next day. We did wait until midnight at least and toasted with a final glass of wine to end our wonderful adventure in Paris. 







The next morning, on my actual bday, I was sad to see my family go, but knew they needed rest and so did we. Gerald and I had a pretty chill day. After brunch at La Cantine de Quintin, we strolled along St. Martin Canal where they had outdoor markets and headed towards the Bastille.






I wanted to see Sainte Chapelle before we left, so we did that, and then bid au revoir to Paris. Another great trip in the books and more great memories from this beautiful city. We definitely enjoyed some yummy food and lots of laughter!



I also want to say a huge thank you for all the birthday wishes I received via text, Facebook and Instagram. Also, for the sweet surprise from my friend Tash and James. We gave Tash and James a key to our house just in case anyone ever needed to get in whenever we're away and they used it for another purpose =) You guys rock!


Here's to wishing for another great year and new adventures to come at 30! 

2 comments:

  1. What a great way/place to celebrate the big 3-0! I've been to quite a few places in Europe, but never Paris. Someday hopefully! Do you and Gerald already have a lock on that bridge?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a fab 3-0!

    ReplyDelete