After a good nights sleep, we woke up the next morning and headed out towards Speyside for some whisky tasting. Sion has never done an afternoon/high tea before so on the way to the Malt Trail, we stopped at Kildrummy Castle Hotel to give her her first experience. What a wonderful location that was for a first timer. We arrived at the hotel a little before 12 and were the only ones on the property, besides the receptionist, owner, and butler/waiter guy. Claude, the owner, recently joined the AWA, so I made it a point to introduce myself and welcome her to the club. She offered to give us a tour of the property and then sat us down in the beautiful drawing room for our afternoon tea. The butler/waiter guy even started the fire for us; what a cozy setting. The surroundings of the place was so nice; we got views of Kildrummy Castle and beyond; on the property there were loads of pheasants, birds, bunnies, and a RED squirrel! For those of you that don't know, the number of red squirrels have decreased in recent years due to the introduction of grey squirrels (from America) into the area. Because of this, there are actually traps to capture grey squirrels and take them elsewhere (or kill them, idk?). So I was super excited to finally see the infamous red squirrel; way cuter than grey squirrels.
After we finished our afternoon tea, we headed out to Glenfiddich for a tour, but was told that we
would have to wait close to two hours because there were a couple of big foreign tours scheduled. Of course, "ain't nobody got time for that," so we headed out to Macallan instead, which I'm glad we did. There was only 4 of us on the tour, so it was really intimate and Sion really learned a lot. Also, because they don't allow you to take pictures, you actually pay attention more...haha. I especially enjoyed the lesson on the trees used to make the barrels. We attempted to stop by the Speyside Cooperage to see if they sell whisky barrels so we can bring one back to the States when we return (per Gerald's request), but they were closed. By this time, we were pretty pooped so decided to take the A96 back into Aberdeen instead of the country roads ( I think Sion was also car sick from my driving, kidding). As we were driving, my speedometer went nuts and went to 120mph when I was really only going 60mph; at zero, it was at 60mph. Thank goodness for the Garmin or else I would have came home with a few speeding tickets. We got that fixed this past weekend and it costs us £200. To make matters worse, they don't even know the cause of it and said it might happen again! Pray, that if you live in the UK, you drive a reliable car or else you will be broke! Anyways, we got home and went to Soul for some food and casino time.
I hope Scotland showed Sion why we love it so much and will get more of our friends to come visit before we leave. For right now, though, I shall take a break before our next Scotland adventure in a few days. So excited! Here are all the places we plan on stopping by...It'll just be me and G, so we should get some much deserved QT in.






Oooooooohhh!!! Are y'all going to Glenmorangie? And Ullapool???
ReplyDeleteThat's an awesome jumping shot!
ReplyDeleteMan I miss Scotland...
ReplyDelete