Saturday, 8 March 2014

Bullhead House Remodel {The Kitchen Backsplash}

Like I mentioned before in my previous posts, the house was super tile heavy and another place to get rid of those tiles was the kitchen backsplash. I wish I would have thought about this before the cabinets were finished to avoid the clean up again, but hey ho! After the cabinets were done, the kitchen backsplash just looked off. We have black granite countertops with some gold/browns in it so it was so hard to figure out what would look best for the backsplash.  I went to the store day in and day out, trying to figure something out and finally decided on 2x2 marble hexagons. With the white and gray tones, I figured it would pull the white from the cabinets and the blacks from the granite to tie everything together. Lucky for me, it worked out and I'm happy with the outcome. You can't really notice from the pictures but I ended up doing a redo here because I didn't like how the end pieces came together. We started off with mini cigaros and I ended up switching to regular cigaros. Cigaros are the things that finish off the marble off at the edges. I've learned a lot about construction lingo after spending the last 2 months with the contractors! They're like my best friends now!

Another plus about this whole thing was that I got the materials at a discount! My friend, Luzette, works for Emser Tile & Stone and was able to make a phone call so they could give us "employee" prices. Now for marble, this is huge! We pretty much got everything at cost or close to cost so from here on out, we went with Emser for the rest of the materials for the house updates! Thanks Luzzy! 

Before - how we bought the house



Before - with the white cabinets finished


During - looks so much better with those tiles out!


After - I got the guys to change out the outlets as well to white square ones {they were cream round ones before}



1 comment:

  1. Wow. You should flip houses for a living! Great job. I'm bummed to be in a rental house again. Our new place is great but it has potential to be even better if I could get my hands on it!

    ReplyDelete